Looking for a simple-yet-fresh stuffing recipe for Christmas? This traditional English stuffing is one of my personal favorites that makes its way onto my holiday table year after year. It hails from British cooking icon Delia Smith.
- 1 lb (450 g) peeled chestnuts, cooked and very finely chopped
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz (110 g) smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- the liver from the turkey, chopped small
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- 4 level tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 level dessertspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ level teaspoon ground mace
- 8 oz (225 g) best-quality pork sausagemeat, or finely minced pure pork
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and cook the onion, bacon and chopped turkey liver for 10 minutes or so, until the onion looks transparent and everything is tinged gold at the edges.
- Now tip the contents of the pan into a large mixing bowl and add all the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, and mix very thoroughly.
Leave a Reply