For sweet and juicy grilled shrimp with great flavor, a marinade inspired by Oahu’s North Shore food trucks, courtesy of FOOD & WINE.
ROASTED GARLIC BUTTER
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup peeled garlic cloves (from 1 head garlic)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 ounces), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup bottled Italian dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh calamansi or Key lime juice (from about 8 Key limes)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined tail-on raw large shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Step 1 – Make the roasted garlic butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place oil and garlic in a small baking pan; cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast garlic in preheated oven until soft and light golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool 1 hour. Remove garlic from oil; place garlic in bowl of a food processor. (Reserve oil for another use.)
- Add butter to food processor, and process until smooth. Stir in salt. Let butter mixture stand at room temperature until ready to use.
Step 2 – Make the shrimp
- While roasted garlic cools, stir together Italian dressing, mayonnaise, calamansi juice, and salt.
- Add shrimp, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Remove shrimp from marinade, and discard marinade.
- Grill shrimp until cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer shrimp to a large bowl.
- Add roasted garlic butter, and toss until butter is melted and shrimp are coated.
- Sprinkle with scallions, parsley, and paprika; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
The roasted garlic butter can be covered and stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Leave a Reply