You want to make something a little special for the holidays without spending hours in the kitchen. Canapes are the lifeblood of any good festive bash, so why not give this superb chicken liver pate a whirl?
Chicken liver paté
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 oz. butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy or port wine or other type of liquor that you like (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 lb chicken livers
- 4¼ oz. butter
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chop onion and garlic finely and fry soft in a couple of tablespoons of butter on medium high heat. Remove from the pan.
- Increase the heat and add a couple of more tablespoons butter to the same pan. Fry the liver so that it gets fried on all sides. Add liquor. Salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and reduce the juices. Let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place the fried onion, garlic and liver in a food processor or a blender and mix into a smooth batter together with the rest of the butter and tomato paste. Spread out in a small baking dish, about 7 x 8 inches (18 x 20 cm).
- Add four ounces of butter for the topping to a small pan and melt carefully on medium heat. Let the white milk protein sink to the bottom and carefully pour the cleared butter into a small bowl.
- Stir in thyme and pepper. Pour the melted butter over the paté batter and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Serve with pickled red onions or cucumbers.
Leave a Reply