We’re partial to a good chili around these parts. The zing of the spices, the blast of the heat, and the delicious silkiness of the meat in ragu. It is a glorious meal. And, if you make it right, it can be nutritious, packed full of proteins and vitamin-rich veggies.
This one hails from Ruled.me – a ketogenic recipe site – and we absolutely love it. Not only is it a slow cooker special (so it’s no haddle), instead of the usual ground meat, it uses cubed steak! Yes, steak chili! Be sure to let us know your thoughts on it in the comments!
- 2 1/2 lb grass fed steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup leeks, sliced
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, whole with juice
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- Place all ingredients, except for the toppings, into a slow cooker in the order given.
- Stir, cover, and set the slow cooker to high. Cook for approximately 6 hours, or until the steak is tender.
- Use a fork to shred some of the steak cubes if and break up any tomatoes that remain intact.
- Serve the chili hot in bowls with any desired toppings.
Leave a Reply