If there’s a quinessential time for kebabs — it’s summer.
Being able to make a bit of a mess outdoors while assembling these delicious meat n’ veg skewers is half of the fun.
Give these a go and be sure to let us know of any amendments you make to your shish kebabs when you grill ’em!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 mushroom caps
- 8 metal skewers, or as needed
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into large squares
- Whisk the olive oil, tamari, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste, garlic, black pepper, and salt together in a bowl; pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the beef, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
- Add the mushrooms to the bag, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and reseal the bag; marinate in the refrigerator another 8 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the beef and mushrooms from the marinade, shaking off any excess liquid. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside for basting.
- Thread pieces of green bell pepper, beef, red bell pepper, mushroom, and onion onto metal skewers, repeating until all ingredients are skewered.
- Cook the skewers on the preheated grill, turning frequently and brushing generously with the reserved marinade until nicely browned on all sides and the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes.
Leave a Reply